You do not have to be in the car, nor do you have to be driving your vehicle to be the victim of a hit and run. In fact, many hit and runs occur in parking lots. When you are faced with a situation - like a hit and run - that is not your fault; you might experience a series of emotions, ranging from anger to helplessness. How are you going to recoup for the damages?
A hit and run is a vehicular accident wherein the other driver leaves intentionally without providing their contact information. If you find yourself in this situation, a Tulsa car accident attorney can help reduce the stress and avoid some of the frustration you may feel.
What Can I Do?
While many victims of hit and runs feel helpless, there are things you can do as soon as you notice that your car has been damaged. Panic and stress are natural emotions that occur when car accidents happen, but it is important to remember to remain calm. By keeping your head cool, you will be able to gather information that is necessary to file a report with the police and with your insurance company.
Hit and run tips:
- Write down the date, time, and location.
- If you see the car driving away from the scene, get as much information as possible, including the license plate number, make, model, color of the vehicle, and a description of the driver.
- Ask around to find potential witnesses. Write down their names and contact information and anything they saw regarding the incident. Are there security cameras in the area?
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident from various angles, making sure to capture the damages. Is there any paint from the other car on your car? If yes, note the color of the paint.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Never chase a hit and run driver, as that could escalate the situation.
The more information you can gather about the incident, the better chance you have of the authorities catching the driver who hit your car. If the police cannot track down the responsible party, check with your insurance company to find out if your policy covers hit and runs. If the hit and run driver does not carry adequate auto insurance, contact a Tulsa car accident lawyer to find out how to recover for the damages. Contact< us or call today at 918-779-3658.