Passionate, Proud Advocates

Passionate, Proud Advocates


Frasier, Frasier & Hickman is OPEN! While we will do our best to follow our government's social distancing recommendations, we realize your needs do not stop and we are here to help! Our Firm is happy to accommodate your needs and do our consults over the phone. Call today to schedule your consult.

Will A Part-Time Job, Affect My Social Security Disability?

On Behalf of | Jul 28, 2016 | Uncategorized

In order to be eligible for Social Security disability benefits, you must not be able to engage in what is known as substantial gainful activity (SGA). If you can earn gainful income, the Social Security Administration (SSA) could consider your ability to work and bring in a certain amount of income per month as engaging in SGA. In 2016, you are allowed to earn up to a maximum of $1,130 per month without losing your Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. Remember that any income you make will be calculated by the SSA and will reduce your benefits; however, the reduction is normally not dollar for dollar.

Do I Have To Report Cash Income To The SSA? If you do start working a part-time job, you will be required to report the income to the Social Security Administration. If you happen to pick up a cash-paying job, it might be tempting to keep the income a secret, however, there are ways for the SSA to find out if you are earning income under the table, so it is important to do what is right and report any income to the SSA. If you do earn cash income and do not report it, and the SSA finds out, you could lose your Social Security disability benefits entirely.
Other Income Keep in mind that if you receive any other benefits or income, your Social Security disability benefits could be reduced. This includes workers’ compensation, pensions based on work that is not covered by the Social Security Administration, or public disability benefits, to name a few. You should also report any income that your spouse brings into the household, even if the income is self-employment.
Reporting Your Income You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-918-779-3658 to report your income or you can visit the local office or send written documentation to your local Social Security Office. If you are a recipient of SSI benefits, you can use the mobile app or telephone reporting system to report your income.
Contact Our Firm For Social Security Help The Social Security system is complex and confusing, and applying for Social Security disability benefits can be daunting. That is why our Oklahoma Social Security disability lawyers are prepared to offer you a free consultation regarding your case. The law firm of Frasier, Frasier & Hickman, LLP provides legal services to those who are experiencing difficulty with the Social Security disability system. Contact our office today in Tulsa by calling our local number 918-779-3658 or toll-free at 918-779-3658.