At the law firm of Frasier, Frasier & Hickman, LLP, our mission is to fight for the rights of people like you

How to calculate damages in a personal injury case

If you are hurt or experience property loss in an Oklahoma car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. However, there is a good chance that you and the driver who caused the crash will disagree on how much you should be paid. Furthermore, that person’s attorney and insurance provider will also likely take steps to limit how much is paid out in your case.

What types of damages might you be entitled to?

As a general rule, you may receive compensation for medical bills, lost wages or lost future earnings. It might also be possible to obtain a financial award for mental or physical anguish in the aftermath of an accident. If your son or daughter is hurt in a collision, a settlement could include money to pay for any damages that he or she incurs. Furthermore, it might be possible to be reimbursed for any economic losses that occur because you left the workforce to care for your child.

Future damages can be difficult to calculate

Future damages can be hard to calculate because it is difficult to know what your needs might be several years or decades from now. However, as a general rule, you are entitled to the cost of physical therapy or other long-term medical treatment designed to manage symptoms or aid in your recovery.

You may also be allowed to recover the cost of modifying a home or car so that it is easier to use in your current condition. In some cases, a personal injury settlement or jury award will include money to cover the cost of having someone perform tasks like buying groceries or doing laundry.

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle collision, a personal injury attorney may be able to represent your interests during settlement talks or at trial. Legal counsel might use medical records, a police report or other information to show that you were hurt by a negligent driver. If necessary, an expert witness may testify on your behalf in an effort to help you obtain maximum compensation in your case.


RSS Feed